ServoStep™ Controller for NEMA 17, 23 and 34 stepper motors
PRESS release: May 2021
- JVL A/S, one of the world’s leading producers in the field of integrated servo and stepper motors, is announcing a separate Stepper Motor Controller in housing for applications where the integrated stepper motors, ServoStep™, cannot be used.
The SMC66 stepper motor controllers have all this built-in inside the metal housing: driver electronics, controller electronics with ePLC™ and RS485 communications bus. Also included are 8 I/O points which can be individually configured as digital input or output – or analogue input.
Main Features of SMC66
- Most suitable for NEMA 17 to NEMA 34 stepper motors (0 – 6.0 A RMS)
- Closed-loop control – connect external encodera and ensure no loss of steps or position
- Energy efficient due to automatic current control
- Built-in ePLC™ with 8 DIO, 24V or 0-5V (12bit) analog input with advanced filtering
- Ultra-high resolution: 409600 step/rev
- Speed-resolution down to ±0.01 RPM
- Change speed or torque or other parameters ”on-the-fly” (while driving)
- Support for absolute multiturn encoders and incremental encoders
- Option: Industrial Ethernet - support for all major protocols, Profinet, EtherNet/IP, Sercos, EtherCAT, Powerlink and ModbusTCP/UDP
- Option: CANopen protocol with DS301 and DSP401 support. Double M12 connectors for easy daisy-chaining of the CAN bus
- Option: STO (safe torque off, SIL3)
Support for DMX512, CANopen, Modbus-RTU, Ethernet and wireless Ethernet in multi-axis applications. Dual M12 connectors for BUS-in and BUS-out for easy daisy-chaining of cables from controller-to-controller. JVL can deliver cables from stock in different lengths for all multi- axis applications.
Support for all major protocols: Profinet, EtherNet/IP, SERCOS, EtherCAT, Powerlink and ModbusTCP/UDP. Built-in Ethernet switch for easy daisy-chaining. Using the JVL MacTalk® software you can change from one to another protocol as many times as you like.
Supports many different absolute multiturn and incremental encoders
Naturally the SMC66 can control stepper motor without encoders, but increasingly customers want either semi-closed-loop or full closed-loop operation to avoid stalling or loss of positions.
Stepper motors w/built-in encoder and the PA0260 encoder PCB: the SMC66 can run closed-loop control with these units.
JVL has a large stock of different stepper motor sizes with or without built-in encoders for day- to-day delivery for all types of applications.
CANopen Key Features
All motor functions are available in CANopen through gateway objects with selectable data rate up to 1 Mbit/s. Monitoring and debugging features with JVL’s MacTalk® software. Easy configuration from PLC through JVL CAN explorer.
Support for DS301 and DSP402 with ≤ 2 ms interpolation synchronization, as well as read and write access to all 512 motor registers. Downloadable electronic data sheet, EDS. SMC66 w/CANopen supports NC axis in TwinCAT – with step-by-step TwinCAT 3 setup guide.
Other CAN bus Features
JVL has developed another smart feature for SMC66 and ServoStep™ motors running CAN bus: the "Slave-follower-mode”. With this mode you don’t need an external master – you simply use one of the motors as Master and the other motors as Slaves. Up to 8 motors can run synchronized. Contact JVL to learn more about this Master-Slave mode. NB! This mode does not follow the CANopen standard.
For further information, please contact:
JVL A/S, Bregnerødvej 127, 3460 Birkerød, Denmark.
Tel. +45 4582 4440. E-mail: email@example.com
About JVL - JVL is a world leader within the development and production of efficient and compact integrated servo motors and integrated stepper motors. MAC motor® are a series of integrated brushless servo motors (up to 4500 W and 13.5 kW peak) and ServoStep® are a series of integrated stepper motors (up to 25 Nm). Both the servo motor and stepper motor series include motor, controller, ePLC, encoder and bus system integrated into one compact unit. All industrial Ethernet protocols like Profinet, EtherNet/IP, EtherCAT, Sercos III, ModbusTCP and Powerlink are available.
Options include: absolute multiturn encoders, STO (safe torque off, SIL3) and brakes.
JVL has more than 25 years of motion control experience and are well known for their development and production of highly specialized integrated motors with industrial Ethernet and customized improvements. The close co-operation with customers and representatives result in cost-effective and technical optimized solutions for both basic and advanced motion control applications.
JVL's wide selection of quality products for motion control applications include: Integrated brushless Servo motors, Integrated Stepper motors, AC Servo motor controllers, Motor drivers (DC, AC and Steppers), Brakes, Gearboxes, Hollow Rotary Actuators and HMI touch panels.